Due to an EARLY tee time for Jake with some coworkers, I was out of bed by 4:50 — IN THE MORNING! This is not normal for me but I wanted to help get him out the door on time. I told them that they could thank me for his shower that morning : ). Usually mornings where I wake up extra early I’m not the most productive. Seems like it should be the opposite, I know, I have problems.
I mosied through breakfast and coffee then decided to make something of myself and some apples that were on their last leg after watching, you guessed it, FOOD NETWORK! Never fails to inspire me to cook/bake something delicious.
Enter: Extra Crispy Apple Crisp
Here’s the recipe!
Extra Crispy Apple Crisp
4-5 small apples (I used Organic Fuji)
1 cup whole wheat or all purpose flour (I used whole wheat)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup Old Fashioned oatmeal
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg or allspice, whatever you have on hand
pinch of kosher salt
1 cube unsalted butter chilled and cubed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the apples and set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Add butter until mixture resembles a coarse meal, I used my hands!
- Mix 1 cup of crumb mixture with the apples.
- Spread out in small rimmed cookie sheet sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Top with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes then brown the top under the broiler for 2-3 minutes.
You can see I was a little over zealous on the browning but I like that it gave me the option of more or less crunch!
Please excuse the two missing pieces…I may or may not have had this for second breakfast.